Logan Picture

Logan Picture
I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me;
yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy. Alma 29:9

Arriving in Halifax

March 16, 2015
    
Dear Family,

Where do I begin? Canada is awesome, and I am really excited now. Yes I did survive my first blizzard, and it was an amazing opportunity for service. who knew I liked shoveling driveways? The temperature is usually between negative ten and ten degrees Celsius right now. I am still trying to learn Celsius and kilometers. I was nervous when some of the road signs just said ninety. I was like, are Canadian's crazy? But it is different. So the area I am in is Cole Harbour, and to get a feel for it I think it is a mix between Phoenix, Flagstaff, and Santa Monica/ the Pier. It has a lot of buildings, yet is woodsy, yet is on the coast. It's really cool. I live on the ninth floor in an apartment building and it is actually pretty nice. My companion and trainer is Elder McGuire. He is from Flagstaff AZ and knew a couple of people from Gilbert High school because of marching band. So we can relate and have things to talk about, we get along really well. He is a zone leader so I get to go to all his meetings. He has also been sick all week but is pressing forward. I am a little overwhelmed with all that I get to take in and get used to, but it helps me learn to manage stress. It is gorgeous here and I still can't believe we live in Arizona. By the time I get back when I step outside I will shrivel up and die from the heat. All emails are fine from other people, I don't know if I will have the time to answer them all though. A blog sounds great and I do have some pictures to send. I have slipped many times, but haven't fallen yet. I have already talked to hundreds of people just in the past week. It is definitely pulling me out of my comfort zone. "There is no growth in a comfort zone, there is no comfort in a growth zone." There are a lot of nice people here and that is not me being stereotypical. I haven't taught a lesson to anyone but I will this week. I am getting used to missionary life and am coming to love it. Two years is going to go by faster than I think. I have only met a little bit of the ward because church was cancelled on Sunday because of the blizzard. I did not realize church could be cancelled, but we live in Arizona so it makes sense. I only had to push the car out of the snow twice this week. We role play a lot and it helps me to be able to talk to people and to teach. So they have a place called Burrito Jax and is like a Chipotle, but not as good. I miss real Mexican food. I love and miss you all and will have more for you later.

Love, Elder Ray


 

New Elders and Sister arriving at the Halifax airport. No luggage lost!  

A quick break from orientation. A picture out on the frozen lake across from the mission home. The cool air wakes them up after a short nights sleep and a long day of travel.
Back Row:  Assistant Elder Erickson, Elder Hogg, Elder Taufler, Assistant Elder Mcmullen, Elder Larminez.  Front Row:  Elder Ray, Elder Alger, Sister Vadernuk, Elder Hatch (Elder Ray's Comp in the MTC) and Elder Gooch     
 
First Area - Cole Harbour

Elder Ray's trainer and companion, Elder McGuire